prev  next John and Dorothy Hardeman © 2008 Michal M. Farmer Page 255

Home


    William P. Hardeman moved to Texas in the fall of 1835. He accompanied Erastus “Deaf” Smith for four months of ranger duty on the frontier in 1837 and fought in Colonel John Henry Moore’s ranger force against the Comanches at Wallace’s Creek, 22 February 1839. In May 1839 he was part of the Cordova campaign in East Texas. He also fought the Comanches at the battle of Plum Creek, 11 August 1840. He was part of the Somervell expedition against Mexico and was a member of Benjamin McCulloch’s Guadalupe valley rangers in General Zachary Taylor’s army in the Mexican War.
    On 8 June 1855 in Guadalupe County, Texas, Blackstone Hardeman and Elizabeth, wife of Blackstone, of Guadalupe County, for $2000, sold to William P. Hardeman of Guadalupe County, 100 acres in Guadalupe County, part of the survey made for Miles G. Dikes on the southwest bank of the San Marcos River and part of same on which we live, the part sold is the part of the 320 acres northeast of the bed of the slough or false river which runs through the tract and embraces all the land on survey between the false river and the San Marcos, the bed or slough is granted.1280
    William Polk Hardeman raised a force from Guadalupe and Caldwell Counties, Texas, and formed Company A of Colonel Spruce M. Baird’s Fourth Texas Cavalry Regiment, part of Henry H. Sibley’s New Mexico Brigade in 1861. In April 1862 he commanded the successful defense of the Confederate supply depot at Albuquerque. He participated in the Red River campaign and turned back Union General Nathaniel P. Banks. He also commanded the Fourth Texas Cavalry. After the successful campaigns of Yellow Bayou and Franklin, William P. Hardeman was promoted to brigadier general by the Confederate government, 17 March 1865.
    After the surrender at Appomattox, he became an exile. He, with a company of fifteen officers, escaped to Mexico. He served briefly as a battalion commander in Maximilian’s army and became a settlement agent for a Confederate colony near Guadalajara. In 1866 he returned to Texas

    1280 Guadalupe County, Texas, Deed Book G, p. 240-241. /s/ Blackstone Hardeman, Elizabeth (x) Hardeman. Witnesses: A. Neill, E. W. Campbell. Proved by Blackstone Hardeman before Wm. A. Pitts, notary public of Guadalupe County. Elizabeth Hardeman was privately examined, 7 March 1857. Filed 9 March 1857, J. L. Calvert, clerk.