Mr. Dunlap named as trustees, his brother, Judge O. E. Dunlap of Waxahachie, his wife Ella Dunlap of Dallas, and his son-in-law, K. G. Stroud of Italy. He stipulated that upon the death of any of these the district judge should be named a successor. Litigation tied up the money for a time and material shortages also delayed the use of funds. During this time in 1930, a temporary library was set up in a private residence on South Ward Street. On August 7, 1930 of that year dedication services were held, with Mrs. S. M. Dunlap, widow of the donor presiding. The presentation speech ended with the hope that the library would provide a blessing to those now living and to generations yet unborn. The library continued its services in this same building until June 30, 1952 when the present solid masonry library located in the triangular plot facing East Main Street.
The library, which was dedicated on November 30, 1952, contains a children’s reading room, an adult reading room, a librarian’s room, a conference room, a club room, and a kitchenette. The total assets of January 1, 1961 consist of buildings, farms, utility bank stocks, and seven vendor notes valued at $294,946.92. The vendor lein notes are all secured by farm and city real estate far in excess of the amount of the loan. Other than the trustees appointed by Mr. Dunlap’s will, Mr. B. B. Cheatham, George Couch, when the library was built, Robert D. Windham, Mrs. K. G. Stroud, and Charles Hooser have served as trustees. The librarians have been Mrs. Ola Harvey, Mrs. Lowell Middleton, and Mrs. Clarence Ward. As Mr. Joe Dawson wrote when the gift was made known in 1924, Mr. Dunlap was the man who remembered the little town. The S. M. Dunlap library is the only fully endowed library in the state.