303. Frances Elizabeth “Fannie”7Smith (Margaret Sims6Daniel, Frances5Sims, William4, Bruster3, Edward2, William1), was born 7 April 1857, Dallas County, Texas, died 23 August 1940, Dallas, married 1882, Dallas, Texas, to Henry B. Johnston, born 16 October 1848, Illinois, died 24 October 1916, Dallas, Texas, son of S. P. Johnston and Thurza Weaver. They are buried in Daniel Cemetery, University Park (Dallas), Dallas County, Texas.
Dallas Morning News, 24 August 1940: Mrs. Henry B. Johnston, 83, died Friday at her residence, 3412 Haynie. She was born on the farm of her grandmother, Mrs. Frances Sims Daniel, just east of the present Southern Methodist University campus. Her father, Capt. Lafayette Smith raised two companies of Dallas Confederates. Following her father’s death, she and her mother moved to a farm north of SMU on what is now Lovers Lane and there with the help of two negro servants, Giles and Polly Armstrong, managed the property. A son of Giles Armstrong, Sam Armstrong of Dallas, 80, was among the first visitors following the death. Mrs. Johnston was educated at Professor Scale’s Academy located where McKinney and Harwood now join. In 1877, she began teaching school at Pleasant View, now Abrams Road and the Northwest Highway. In 1882 she married Henry B. Johnston, whose family had come to Texas in the fifties and with him moved to a farm just north of the Preston Road district. In 1895 they moved to the corner of Oak Lawn and Hall. In 1916, a year after SMU was established, she moved to the home on Haynie, following the death of her husband. She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Oak Lawn Methodist Church. Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Gus L. Ford, Dallas, and a granddaughter, Mrs. Frances Ford Keithley, Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Washington. Miss Margaret Doggett, Dallas, is a grand niece. Burial, Daniel Cemetery. One of the pallbearers was Dr. Watt W. Winn.